1. Love your work, AND live your life too!
Engineering is an exciting profession, but one of its greatest advantages is that it will leave you time for all the other things in your life that you love!
2. Be creative
Engineering is a great outlet for the imagination—the perfect field for independent thinkers.
3. Work with great people
Engineering takes teamwork, and you’ll work with all kinds of people inside and outside the field.
4. Solve problems that matter
Come up with solutions no one else has thought of. Make your mark on the world.
5. Never be bored
Creative problem solving will take you into uncharted territory, and the ideas of your colleagues will expose you to different ways of thinking.
6. Make a big salary
Engineers not only earn lots of respect, but they’re highly paid. Even the starting salary for an entry-level job is impressive!
7. Enjoy job flexibility
An engineering degree offers you lots of freedom in finding your dream job. It can be a launching pad for jobs in business, design, medicine, law, and government.
Fieldwork is a big part of engineering. You may end up designing a skyscraper in London or developing safe drinking-water systems in Asia. Or you may stay closer to home, working with a nearby high-tech company or hospital.
9. Make a difference
Everywhere you look you’ll see examples of engineering having a positive effect on everyday life.
10. Change the world
In very real and concrete ways, engineers save lives, prevent disease, reduce poverty, and protect our planet.
As an engineer, here are just a few of the jobs you could be doing:
• Develop rockets that collect comet samples
• Create satellites that detect drought around the world
• Design environmentally friendly cleaning products
• Develop chemotherapy that has fewer side effects
• Monitor the quality of a city’s water supply
• Ensure that a school can withstand an earthquake
• Create special effects for the movies
• Design artificial retinas for the blind
• Develop state-of-the-art cell phones
• Develop better methods of recycling plastic
• Create ways of restoring wetlands
• Design ergonomic office space
• Ensure worker safety in factories with dangerous equipment
• Design a lighter bike frame
• Produce biodegradable plastics
• Invent clothing that repels mosquitoes
• Design smart toys for kids
• Create more fuel-efficient cars
• Design instruments that can map the ocean floor
*This information is used with permission from Engineer Your Life