CITY PRESENTATION - 70 points
REVIEW STAGE of the Project
Face-to-Face Judging at Competition on Jan. 21, 2017.
Review/Bring required forms: Honor Statement, Media Waiver, Competition Expense Form
Watch presentations from past National Finals winners in the Gallery
See Handbook 29–30, 41–43.
The students will prepare a presentation discussing their city and its amenities. The maximum time for this presentation is 5 to 7 minutes and will be timed at both the regional and national competitions. This will be followed by a 5-8 minute question and answer period from the judges. The students will also be evaluated as a team on how well they can explain the design and function of their futuristic city. Students are encouraged to use flip chart or poster-sized materials to present their city to a panel of judges. The total cost of the materials used in support of the verbal presentation must be included in the $100 limitation.
City Presentation Requirements
While the model is the primary demonstration aid, students may use pointers, display boards, flip charts, costumes, handouts, and brochures during the presentation.
- Display boards: Students may choose either a single large display that must not exceed 60” x 36” (e.g., multiple signs stacked on top of each other) OR two smaller displays shown concurrently, each of which must not exceed 30” x 36” (e.g., two stacks of signs on separate easels.)
- Flip Charts: If you are using prepared flip charts, make sure your writing does not show through to the next page. Make your lettering BIG & DARK.
- Costumes: These include anything the presenters wear or carry that enhances the role they are depicting in their presentation (e.g., team t-shirts, cell phones, briefcases, etc.)
- Handouts and small mock-ups: All items in this category must collectively fit within a 6” x 6” x 12” volume (e.g., a shoe box.)
- Brochures: Limited to one 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper.
- Stay within the $100 limit. The total value of ALL the materials used in support of the presentation and special awards, including the physical model and costumes, may not exceed $100. All materials must be documented on the Competition Expense Form.
- Audiovisual equipment is not allowed. This includes laptop computers, overhead projectors, DVD/video players, iPods, iPads, and MP3 players.
- Time allowed: The presentation can be up to 7 minutes, followed by a question and answer period of 5-8 minutes.
For more on the City Presentation, download the Program Handbook from the Resources section.
Resource (File Download):