Welcome to the 2020-2021 Future City Competition! Below you will find the resources needed for judging this year. There are many updates to the competition for 2021.There is a highlight of the changes below under "Competition Day Information". There is a summary, prepared by National, of the updates here: https://futurecity.org/about-the-competition/2020-2021-updates.
We will update this page as Live Q&A (February 13, 2021) and Awards Ceremony (February 27, 2021) get closer. If at any time you have questions, please contact your Judge Coordinators (Amanda Joy and Heather Wyld) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year the competition will be held using Zoom! We will hold tutorials prior to the Live Q&A Session and Finals Judging to give an overview of how to use Zoom and prepare judges for these virtual events.
To sign up to be a Judge for 2020-2021:
Create a CMS (Competition Management Software) account or log in to your account from previous years using the link below.
- Create a CMS Account/Sign up for 2020-2021 Competition: https://secure.futurecity.org/AlbanyNY/JudgeBin/Judge/Enroll
Select the role(s) you would like to serve this year. Descriptions of these roles can be found in the 2020-2021 Future City Judge Role Descriptions link under General Resources.
To sign-in to CMS (Competition Management Software):
- Log in to CMS Account: https://secure.futurecity.org/AlbanyNY/Judge
2020-2021 Competition Theme (Living on the Moon)
Judge Manual (2019-2020...this year's will be updated when available)
Competition Day Information
- Everything will be virtual this year. All deliverables will be posted to CMS or a shared location and scoring will be completed on CMS.
- There is no SimCity deliverable this year.
- Instead of presenting and displaying a model on Competition Day, teams will provide a recorded presentation and a slideshow on their model. The model and presentation will be judged separately and each judge will complete their own scoring sheet through CMS.
- A new segment of the competition will be Live Q & A. This will consist of playing a team's recorded presentation followed by a 10 minute live Q&A session between judges and 3 students. This Live Q&A session will be scored separately from the model and presentation, immediately following the Q&A; each judge will submit their own scoring sheet through CMS.
- After the preliminary round of judging is completed, the top three teams will proceed to finals judging. Finals judging will take place between the Live Q&A and Awards ceremony. Finals judges will score the teams' recorded presentation and participate in a round of Live Q&A.
- The Awards Ceremony will be held on February 27th where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place and special awards will be announced.
- Special awards will be determined based on recorded presentations, model slideshows, and judges will have the opportunity to ask questions related to special awards for 2 minutes following the preliminary Live Q&A sessions. Teams will be divided into award categories as we have in the past.
- Here is a PDF summarizing broad changes to the competition: https://futurecity.org/sites/default/files/2020-10/Future%20City%20Changes%20for%20the%202020-21%20year.pdf
MLA Format Citation: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/
Tutorials will be provided for Model, Presentation, Q&A, and using Zoom.