Future City Competition Important Deadlines & Updates
Future City Competition
.The deadlines for the four deliverables and live Q&A event are:
- City Essay – Jan. 22, 2021
- Project Plan – February 5, 2021
- City Model Slideshow – February 8, 2021
- City Presentation Video – February 15, 2021
Plus - City Question and Answer – February 27, 2021
- The next submittal is the Project Plan (10 points) needs to be submitted by Feb. 5, in 2 weeks.
- The City Essay needed to be a maximum of 1500 words that describes the unique attributes of your city and your solution to this year’s challenge. Design a lunar city and provide examples of how your city uses two Moon resources to keep your residents safe and healthy. This was due on Jan. 22 but you still have time to submit it over the next week. Please let me know when you expect to submit it.
- The City model will have Teams build a physical model of their city (in one piece or multiple segments) using recycled materials. Teams then present their work to judges in a slideshow document, using photos of the model to showcase specific aspects of their future city and the team’s solution to this year’s challenge. It also needs to include at least one moving part, demonstrated via video. This is the next submittal after the Project Plan and due on Feb. 8.
- The City presentation will have your team record an up to 7-minute presentation about their future city and their solution to the challenge. The short video highlights the futuristic innovations in the city and gives each team a chance to bring their city to life. This is due on Feb. 15 and is the last judged deliverable due.
- The City Q&A will be the only “live” component of the regular competition. The Team and the judges will meet in a virtual room to answer questions posed by the judges. We will allow up to 10 minutes for Q&A this year.
- Please read through all the deliverables in the handbook to ensure you know what is required.
Other items to note:
- The City Essay, Project Plan. City Model Slideshow, City Presentation Video, and Competition Expense Form need to be uploaded through the website by the due dates so that we can judge and score them prior to the competition day. We will be judging these all remotely so we need to keep these deadlines.
- We will not be doing a final round of judging for the Top 5 this year. We will instead do 3 rounds of Q&A judging for every Team on Saturday, Feb. 27, and the best score of all the components will be our Regional Champion. We may delay the announcements of the winning team and/or special awards winners sometime in the 1st week of March via Zoom. This has not been officially decided yet but this is how we are leaning. We will let you know in early February.
- We will be having Special Awards this year and they will be done virtually also on Saturday, February 27, 2021. They will be scheduled so they do not conflict with your competition Q&A judging. We will let you know your schedule for judging at least a week or two prior to Feb. 27. These are done by professional societies and organizations and help us in our fundraising but also is an opportunity to give out additional awards to the teams. We are giving them the opportunity to judge remotely too depending on what they want to do. They can submit questions beforehand that the Team can either answer in writing or by video. We will let you know if any special awards will be judged this way. We are requesting all Special Awards to submit their questions in writing and we will send them to you prior to the competition, hopefully at least a week before, so your team can prepare.
- The nationals will be held the week of April 5, 2021 and will be virtual. The winning team from each region will compete at the National Competition.
If you have questions, please contact us:
Home Cell: (630) 730-9068
Work Cell: (312) 237-1599