Students write a 1,500-word essay describing the unique attributes of their city. The 2017-2018 challenge will be announced on July 15th. Check back then for more details.
Before students get started, be sure to do the following:
- Review the City Essay Rubric located in the program handbook (available July 15th).
City Essay Requirements
- The City Essay should be no longer than 1,500 words and free of grammatical and spelling errors.
- Teams may include a maximum of four graphics.
- Students must cite at least three sources of information used during the idea development process. MLA style preferred. Download the MLA Reference Template from the Resources section for examples and guidelines.
- Students should use a variety of sources of information, such as interviews with experts, reference books, periodicals, and websites. NOTE: Wikipedia is not accepted as a source of research.
- The essay must be submitted as a Word document via the Online Submission Center at futurecity.org. Check with your regional coordinator for you'r region's exact date.
For more on the City Essay, download the Program Handbook from the Resource section (new handbook available July 15th).