The City Essay is the first place where students share their vision of their future city. They will write a 1,500-word essay describing the unique attributes of their city and their solution to this year's annual challenge: A Waste-Free Future. Teams will design a waste-free city using the principles of a circular economy.
City Essay Requirements
- In their essay, students will present their waste-free city, describe its location, share its innovative features, and describe their city uses the three principles of a circular economy.
- The essay cannot exceed 1,500 words and should be free of grammatical and spelling errors.
- Teams may include a maximum of four graphics.
- Students must cite at least three sources of information used during the idea development process. MLA style preferred. Download the MLA Reference Template from the Resources section for examples and guidelines.
- Students should use a variety of sources of information, such as interviews with experts, reference books, periodicals, and websites. NOTE: Wikipedia is not accepted as a source for citations.
- The essay must be submitted as a Word document via the Educator Dashboard on futurecity.org. Check with your regional coordinator for your region's deadline.
- Don't forget to review the City Essay Rubric before you begin and refer to it while you work!
For more on the City Essay, register then download the Program Handbook.