Welcome to the Idaho Region of the Future City Competition™. This website contains information about the Idaho Regional Competition for interested students, teachers, parents and volunteers.
About Future City Future City™Competition, in its 29th year nationally and 17th year in Idaho, is a free educational program for sixth, seventh and eighth-grade students run entirely by volunteers throughout the state. It is a national program that fosters an interest in math, science and engineering through hands-on, real world applications.
The Future City Program combines an engineering challenge with a "hands-on" application as students present their vision of a city of the future by working in teams along with their teacher and a volunteer engineer mentor. Teams of students (minimum of three per team) will perform the following tasks:
- Students research and write and essay on a given engineering topic. This year's theme is to Design a lunar city and provide examples of how your city uses two Moon resources to keep your citizens safe and healthy.
- The students build a model of a portion of their city to scale using recycled materials. Models may be a single large model OR multiple model segments. Students will present their model using a provided template slideshow containing photos and accompanying descriptions of their model.
- Teams will record a 7-minute video presentation about their city. The recorded video is due prior to the virtual Regional Competition with only 3 students presenting.
- In a City Q&A teams will have a 10-minute question-and-answer session with judges from the engineering, technical, and city design fields. Sessions will be conducted live via a video conferencing platform. The 3 students in the City Q&A can be different than the 3 students in the video presentation.
- Teams complete a project plan to help them plan and organize their project.
- The preparation starts in August-October. Regional competitions are in January.
Mark your calendar for the 17th Idaho Regional Competition that will be held on Saturday January 23rd
Dates and Deadlines - The submittal deadlines for the program deliverables include:
- City Essay - Friday, December 11th (accepted up to a week late (12/18) with a 5 point deduction)
- Project Plan - Saturday, January 16th (no late submittals)
- City Model and Video Presentation - Saturday, January 16th (no late submittals)
- Special Awards - Friday, January 22nd
- Live Q&A Finals - Saturday, January 23rd
Results from 16th Idaho Regional 2019-20
Below are the results from the 16th Idaho Regional Future City Competition. This year's competition included 37 teams from 17 different schools. Participants came from all over Idaho including Ammon, Blackfoot, Boise, Caldwell, Garden Valley, Hailey, Homedale, Ketchum, Kuna, Meridian, Nampa, Riggins, and Sandpoint.
1st place went to Light of Learning’s Future City Luna Glacias Students Max Hollist, Sara Hollist and Spencer Patton, along with teacher Deonna Holist and mentor Meghann Donley with HDR will represent Idaho at the 28th National Future City Finals February 14-19 in Washington, D.C. Congratulations and good luck at Nationals!
2nd place went to Homedale’s Future City Maru
3rd place went to Garden Valley School’s Future City Al Qahiratu
4th place went to Heritage Middle School’s Future City New Safi
5th place went to Salmon River Junior High School’s Future City Waitaki
Below is a list of the special awards, their sponsors, and the winning school and future city:
- Best Infrastructure System (American Society of Civil Engineers Southern Idaho Section - Heritage Middle School's Future City Nero
- Most Sustainable Use of Existing Resources (Boise State University College of Engineering) - Ernest Hemingway STEAM's Future City Kota Laut
- Best Electrical Power Delivery System (Bonneville Power Administration) - St. Marks Future City Regen
- Most Innovative Design of Water Infrastructure Systems (Brown and Caldwell) - Cole Valley Christian's Future City Paradise
- Most Innovative Approach to Overcoming Obstacles (Community Planning Association of Southwest Idaho) - Idaho Arts Charter's Future City Skilver
- Most Creative Water Source (Forsgren Associates ) - Ernest Hemingway STEAM's Future City Aqua Munda
- Best Use of Innovative Construction Materials and Techniques (HDR) - Syringa Middle School's Future City Vodnyy Mir
- Best Virtual City (HP) - Light of Learning Home school's Future City Luna Glacias
- Professional Engineering Award (Idaho Society of Professional Engineers State & Southwest Chapter) - Victory Middle School's Future City Easkccapa
- Best Commercial/Industrial Layout (Idaho State University College of Science & Engineering) - Falcon Ridge Charter's Future City Avimore
- Best City Essay - Light of Learning Home school's Future City Luna Glacias
- Best City Model - Heritage Middle School's Future City New Safi
- Best City Presentation - Sandpoint Future City Club's Future City Cascadia
- Best Use of Information Technology for Managing Water Resources (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers State & Southwest Chapter) - Garden Valley's Future City Al Qahiratu
- Most Multimodal Transportation Network (Institute of Transportation Engineers – Idaho Chapter) - White Pine Charter's Future City Azai
- Natural Disaster Preparedness (Jacobs) - Wood River Middle School's Future City Brady
- Most Innovative Stormwater/Wastewater Treatment & Reuse (JUB Engineers) - Sandpoint Future City Club's Future City Cascadia
- Best Transportation System (Kittelson & Associates, Inc.) - Heritage Middle School's Future City Greenwood Valley
- Materials Science (Micron, Inc.) - Sacred Heart Catholic School's Future City Ocho Rios
- Best Land Surveying Practices (National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying) - Salmon River Jr. High's Future City Waitaki
- Best Futuristic City (Parametrix) - Falcon Ridge Charter's Future City Hedge Coast
- Best Project Plan (Project Management Institute Western Idaho Chapter) - Heritage Middle School's Future City New Safi
- Greatest Impact on Community (St. Lukes) - Homedale Middle School's Future City Maru
- Best Management of Water Resources (Sponsored by Stantec) - Wood River Middle School's Future City New Miami
- Best Use of Alternative Energy (STRATA, Inc.) - Wood River Middle's Future City Mar Pacific
- Best Water Technology Solutions (SUEZ Water) - Heritage Middle School's Future City Greenwood Valley
- Water Design System that Demonstrates Potential for use in Underdeveloped Countries - (Sunrise Rotary of Boise) - Sandpoint Future City Club's Future City Aqualantis
- Best Consideration of Air Transportation (T-O Engineers) - Idaho Science & Technology Charter's Future City Copper Springs
- Best Conservation of Water Resources through Reuse (Western Consulting Group) - Salmon River Jr. High's Future City New Petra
- Most Livable City (WH Pacific) - Cole Valley Christian School's Future City Kunglungan