Welcome to the North Carolina Future City Competition for Middle School Students!
An exclusive webinar for Future City participating educators, program leaders, mentors, and students was presented on October 4, 2022.
The Climate Change Challenge has teams thinking about and planning cities of the future that address climate change issues. Gain additional insight into this theme with these experts: – Paul Lee, Engineer and Energy Policy Analyst at City of Los Angeles, Mayor’s Office of Sustainability – Dr. Allegra LeGrande, Physical Research Scientist at NASA specializing in extreme climates.
follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FutureCityCompetition/ to keep up to date and access resources!
2022-2023 Educators Kick-off Meeting (Video)
Guest speaker on the this year topic of climate change:
Jeremy Tarr: Senior Advisor for Climate Change Policy, office of Governor Roy Cooper
Leah Bug: Director of the NC State Engineering Place
Simon Critten: Climate Scientist from Mott McDonald
Virtual or On-site Mentors Welcome
Are you a professional in the world of engineering, architecture, city planning, technology or a related field?
To register as a mentor, click “Sign Up” at the top of this page, then select “As a mentor” and complete the form.
A background check is required (for mentors only) when registering, a refundable fee of $25 needs to be paid at the time of registration.
Once registered, NC Future City will refund the $25 to cover your background check fee.
If you have any questions, please contact Eric Misak Director of Mentoring Future City Competition North Carolina at Eric.Misak@wsp.com.
Regional Competition Date: January 21th, 2023
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695
- Model judging
- Q&A Sessions
There are tons of resources on this website! Explore all sections of the site, and dig into the Resources page in the Dashboard.
As you begin to start planning your Future City, please see below for an introductory video created by Local Volunteers.
Click the link here: Future City Competition – How to get started
Here are some suggestions for internet searches:
- climate change in cities
- climate change adaptation
- greenhouse gas mitigation
- nature-based solutions
- resilient by design
- climate change infographics
Here are some additional resouce links recommended from a climate expert.
- Solid suite of reference material Climate Change | US EPA
- Basics of climate change Greenhouse gases – U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
- Scientific consensus Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet (nasa.gov)
- Climate change projected for US counties Climate Explorer (nemac.org)
- US climate resilience toolkit U.S. Climate Resilience Toolkit | U.S. Climate Resilience Toolkit
- Urban adaptation in Europe Urban adaptation in Europe — European Environment Agency (europa.eu)
- Urban adaptation examples from Europe Urban Adaptation Map Viewer — Climate-ADAPT (europa.eu)
- New York City’s Roadmap to 80 x 50_20160926_FOR WEB.pdf (nyc.gov)
- Toolkit for urban planners Integrating Climate Adaptation: A toolkit for urban planners and adaptation practitioners (c40knowledgehub.org)
- Why cities need to adapt to climate change Why all cities need to adapt to climate change (c40knowledgehub.org)
- Stanford Middle School resources Middle School Curriculum | Climate Change Education | Stanford Earth
- Collated resources Reporting Sources on Climate Adaptation – Reporting on Climate Adaptation
- Natural Resources Canada Climate change: Adapting to impacts and reducing emissions (nrcan.gc.ca)
- https://www.getkidsintosurvey.com/resources/ (these are really fun & cool) check out this one: GKiS Image Viewer (getkidsintosurvey.com) w/ QandA-Climate-Change-2.pdf (getkidsintosurvey.com) see attachment for lesson plan to go with this.
- Dated but some good base info https://paleontological.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/TFG-ClimateChange-3rd-Printing-Small.pdf
Source: Natural Resources Canada
2022 Final Round Results (NC)
2022 Specialty Award Winners (NC)
The BGE, Inc. Serving, Leading, Solving Award
- Presented to Bayguls
The NCLUG Best Teamwork Award
- Presented to 6th AIG PK
The Duke Energy Best Use of Energy Award
- Presented to Biya
The WSP Best Use of Infrastructure Award
- Presented to Filterium
The Simpson Engineers and Associates Most Creative Team Presentation Award
- Presented to A2C2ES Metropolis
The Best Use of Transportation Award*
- Presented to New Atlantis
The Society of American Military Engineers – Fort Bragg Post Best Use of Security and Safety Award
- Presented to New Lake City
The Smith + Gardner Best Use of Waste Solutions Award
- Presented to Sakuru No Shima
The Best Use of Building Materials Award*
- Presented to Managua Nicaragua
The Best Disaster Preparation Award*
- Presented to Etheraeal City
The Most Innovative Product Design Award*
- Presented to Cosmic City
The Most Accessible City Award*
- Presented to Turibe
The Coffman Engineers Best Family Friendly City Award
- Presented to Novus
The Dewberry Best Use of Water Resources Award
- Presented to Terra Limpa
The NCEES Best Land Surveying Practices Award
- Presented to Aseptique
The Project Management Institute Outstanding Project Plan Award
- Presented to Bangopushaguri
The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Outstanding Use of Circular Economy Principles Award
- Presented to Terra Limpa
Congratulations to our Specialty Award Winners!
*These Awards were presented on behalf of our Regional Steering Committee
News & Updates
2022 – Past Participant Testimony
View this testimonial by Karl E. McCloud II, NC A&T State University and former Future City Competition Participant, where he discusses the benefits of involving young people in STEM!
Impact of the Competition
Phyllis King receives Outstanding Educator NSTEM Champion Award
Phyllis King, a Career and Technical Education teacher at Lumberton Junior High School, received the “Outstanding Educator NSTEM™ Champion Award” from the National STEM Honor Society. NC Future City Competition is proud to have an educator like Phyllis in our region. Read more about Phyllis award here: King-receives-outstanding-educator-nstem-champion-award